With juicy meat and extra crispy skin, this Air Fryer Whole Roast Chicken With Lemon and Garlic is a must-try! The best part? It’s ready in just 45 minutes! Your whole family will love it!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
The first time I made air fryer roast chicken, I was amazed at how easy it was! With just a few ingredients, I had a delicious, juicy chicken I could serve as is or use in Easy Chicken Pot Pie With Puff Pastry or Alfredo Stuffed Shells With Spinach.
Now, I don't have to go out and buy a rotisserie chicken anymore because I can make a much tastier one in my air fryer at home! This is my new favorite way to make chicken!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- It’s rotisserie-style chicken - only better!
- It is ready in under an hour, including prep!
- Super juicy and tender meat.
- Great for meal prep.
- Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.
- Impressive enough for special occasions.
You can find these simple ingredients at any grocery store:
- Chicken. I used a whole chicken that was about 4 pounds. Make sure it is fully defrosted with giblets removed and is small enough to fit inside your air fryer.
- Lemon and garlic. Lemon juice and minced garlic are used in the wet rub, and then whole lemon and garlic cloves are inserted inside the chicken cavity.
- Wet rub. This is made with fresh lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, sea salt (or kosher salt), black pepper, dried rosemary (crushed), and dried thyme leaves.
See the printable recipe card below for quantities and a full list of ingredients.
- Add onion powder, garlic powder, or paprika to the spice blend.
- Mix in lemon zest for a more citrusy flavor.
- Top with a dollop of chimichurri sauce before serving.
- Use fresh limes instead of lemons.
You can modify this recipe to use boneless chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken. Follow my Air Fryer Boneless Chicken Breasts recipe and use the wet rub in this recipe.
How To Make Air Fryer Whole Chicken With Lemon and Garlic
Step 1: Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F. Combine juice from 1 lemon, 5 cloves of minced garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme in a small bowl.
Step 2: Dry the entire chicken with paper towels. Cut the other lemon in half and place inside the chicken cavity with 3 whole garlic cloves.
Step 3: Use a basting brush to apply the wet spice rub over the whole bird. Gently lift the chicken skin and spoon the seasoning over the breast meat. Don’t be shy - add lots!
Step 4: Place the chicken breast side down in the air fryer basket.
Step 5: Air fry for 15 minutes, flip over, air fry for another 15 minutes, flip over again, air fry for 7 minutes, flip over, and air fry for another 7 minutes. (Frequent flipping is required so the chicken skin doesn’t burn as it is very close to the heating element). The chicken is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F in the thickest part of the breast and 175 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh.
Step 6: Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before carving. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve with your favorite sides.
Use the chicken carcass to make chicken stock and make Chicken Noodle Soup or Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Soup with Pasta and Spinach.
- Prep the chicken and let it marinate for 30 minutes while it comes to room temperature.
- Make sure there is enough space around the chicken for the hot air to circulate.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken and how hot your air fryer cooks. A larger chicken will take longer than a smaller one.
- Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness
Some of my favorite side dishes to serve with this air fryer rotisserie chicken are Crispy Air fryer Sweet Potato Fries With Cornstarch, Best Coleslaw With Miracle Whip, and Extra Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes.
I have a large basket-style air fryer that is 9 inches x 9 inches, which is large enough to hold a 3-5 pound chicken.
The temperature should be set to 350 degrees F. Any hotter and it will cook too much on the outside and not enough on the inside.
Yes, an air fryer cooks chicken faster than an oven. This is because an air fryer uses circulating hot air to cook food, which cooks it more quickly and evenly than an oven.
It will take about 45 minutes to air fry chicken at 350.
The acidity of lemon juice breaks down the protein in chicken, making it tender, and the citrus flavor pairs well with the flavor.
If you don’t flip the chicken, it may not be cooked evenly all the way through, and the side facing the heating element will become overcooked or burnt, while the bottom side may be undercooked.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Remove chicken from the bones and store in a freezer bag for up to 2 months.
Place frozen chicken in the refrigerator the night before to thaw. Reheat chicken on the REHEAT setting of your air fryer for 2-3 minutes until hot.
Air Fryer Whole Chicken With Lemon and Garlic
- 1 whole chicken 3-5 pounds
- 2 large lemons
- 8 cloves garlic divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- fresh herbs for garnish optional
- Preheat your air fryer to 350°F.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (juice from 1 lemon), 5 cloves of minced garlic olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, and thyme.
- Dry the chicken with paper towels. Make sure the giblets are removed.
- Cut the other lemon in half and place inside the chicken cavity with 3 whole garlic cloves.
- Rub the seasoning evenly over the entire chicken, including under the skin of the breast. Don't be afraid to add lots!
- Place the chicken breast-side down in the air fryer basket. Air fry for 15 minutes at 350°F. Carefully turn the chicken over and cook for another 15 minutes. Flip the chicken again and cook for another 7 minutes. Flip one last time, and cook for another 7 minutes. The chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165°F in the thickest part of the breast and 175°F in the thickest part of the thigh.
- Let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before carving. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
- This recipe is for a 3-5 pound chicken, suitable for most air fryers with 5 quarts or larger capacity.
- Make sure there is space around the chicken to circulate the hot air.
- Add lots of marinade under the skin of the chicken to flavor the meat.