Summer is here, and this Coleslaw Recipe is insanely good and creamy, the perfect side dish to serve alongside grilled recipes, smokies, or pretty much anything! It is quick and easy to make with only 4 ingredients. When I think of easy summer sides, this delicious coleslaw is the first that comes to mind. It is ready to eat in only 5 minutes, perfect for busy summer days!
I have been making this coleslaw for as long as I can remember. I used to make it with Miracle Whip, but not anymore; I prefer avocado mayo.
This slaw goes with many dishes, including our favorite Smoked Burgers, Smoked Chuck Roast, Instant Pot Ribs, Meatloaf, and Smoked Pork Loin Roast. It's also perfect served with fish and chips, fish tacos, and pulled pork sandwiches.
What is coleslaw?
Coleslaw, also known as cole slaw, "New England Salad," or simply slaw, is a side dish consisting of mostly finely shredded green and red cabbage and carrots with either mayonnaise or vinaigrette dressing.
Why we love this recipe
Not only is this classic coleslaw extremely creamy and delicious, it is:
- The perfect side dish to so many dishes.
- Prep time is only 5 minutes; that's right, 5 minutes!
- You don't need to turn on the oven or stove.
- It is made with only 4 ingredients!
- Make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until it is time to serve. The longer it chills, the more flavor it has!
To make this delicious coleslaw, all you need are:
- Coleslaw mix. I bought a bag of coleslaw mix from the store. I like to have it on hand in the fridge so I can make this up super quick. You can shred or finely chop green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrots if you have them.
- Mayo. I use avocado oil-based mayonnaise instead of regular mayo. You can use your favorite mayo or whatever you have on hand in the fridge.
- Half-and-half. This is 10% milkfat. It makes the coleslaw super creamy and adds richness to the slaw.
- Sugar. I use cane sugar to sweeten the coleslaw up a bit. It doesn't take much; just a little will do.
How to make this coleslaw
This coleslaw is made from only cabbage and carrots. Use your food processor to shred the cabbage and carrots, or for convenience, buy bagged coleslaw mix at the grocery store. I like to use both green and red cabbage if I have it because not only does it add a pretty pop of color to the salad, it is very healthy for you.
Place shredded cabbage and carrots in a medium-size bowl. Add mayo, half-and-half, and sugar to the cabbage mixture. With a large spoon, stir until well mixed, and everything is coated with the dressing. Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to use.
For optimal flavor, let sit 1 hour before serving to let the flavors all meld together.
This coleslaw must be served immediately or placed in the fridge with a tight-fitting lid or covered with plastic wrap.
You should eat the salad within 3 to 5 days. The longer it sits, the softer the cabbage and carrots get, and the dressing soaks into each piece of the coleslaw. I think it tastes best on the second day, but that's just my personal opinion. 😉
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Cabbage is very healthy for your gut. It contains glutamine which is known for improving gut health. In addition, it soothes the gut and helps with intestinal permeability, e.g., leaky gut syndrome.
Cabbage is very healthy, particularly red cabbage, which is high in antioxidants and gives you the best nutritional boost per serving. It is also especially high in Vitamin C, and vitamin K. Carrots are also very healthy and high in beta carotene, fiber, vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants.
To make the coleslaw healthier, use half the amount of mayo called for, and use plain Greek yogurt in place of the mayo you took out.
Other side dish recipes
If you’ve tried this Insanely Good Coleslaw Recipe or any other recipe, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
Insanely Good Coleslaw Recipe
- 5 cups coleslaw mix or shredded red and green cabbage and carrots
- ½ cup avocado mayo or mayo of your choice
- ¼ cup half-and-half 10% milkfat
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar or sweetener of your choice
- Place shredded cabbage and carrots in a medium-size bowl.
- Add mayo, half-and-half, and sugar to the cabbage mixture.
- With a large spoon, stir until well mixed and everything is coated with the dressing.