These Ultra Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes are perfectly seasoned, cooked until crispy and golden brown on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside. They cook in half the time as the oven and only use a fraction of the oil. These are so delicious you can eat them on their own, as a side dish, or serve them up as hashbrowns for breakfast.
I warn you, though, these are so addicting, you might not be able to stop eating them. They are just so quick and easy to make and taste just so darn good! They are crispy little morsels on the outside, yet soft puffs of potato on the inside.
You can season them up however you like, add different spices, or add melty cheese on top to take it to another level of deliciousness (so good).
These crispy potatoes are finished in 30 minutes and make a great side dish instead of baked potatoes or french fries.
They don't have to be only for dinner, though; they are equally delicious when made as breakfast potatoes. These are so good served with Crispy Buttermilk Belgian Waffles, Buttermilk Sheet Pan Pancakes, Spinach, Mushroom Omelet, or Oven-Baked Omelet Casserole.
These crispy potatoes require a bake time of only about 20 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes and the size of your air fryer.
Air frying potatoes is so much faster than frying potatoes on the stove, and so much healthier too!
- 2 pounds potatoes, washed, peeled, diced in 1-2 inch cubes.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ tsp seasoning salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ tsp pepper
How to make crispy potatoes in the air fryer
These are so quick and easy to make, perfect for busy weeknights.
First, wash and peel your potatoes. If you are using your own potatoes or are organic, you do not need to peel them. However, our red potatoes have been in the root cellar all winter, and they have seen better days, so I peel them.
Next, cut the potatoes into cubes in 1 to 2-inch pieces. Try to cut all potatoes a similar size for even cooking.
Place diced potatoes into a large bowl. Add seasonings and olive oil to the bowl. Toss the potatoes with a spoon until the potatoes are well coated.
Preheat your air fryer. I set the temperature at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add potatoes to the basket of the air fryer, but make sure not to overcrowd the basket. We want the potatoes to cook evenly and get really crispy. I have a large 6 qt air fryer, and I can cook 2 pounds of potatoes in 2 batches.
Next, set the cooking time for 20 minutes, and be sure to shake the basket halfway through, at about 10 minutes.
All air fryers do not cook the same, so the cooking time may have to be adjusted for your own air fryer.
The picture below is after 10 minutes of cooking, when I shook the basket at the halfway point.
In just 10 more minutes, the potatoes will be done, and they should be crispy golden on the outside. Test for doneness by inserting a fork into a piece of potato; it should feel soft inside.
That's all there is to it! Add some extra salt and pepper if you like and dig in!
- Cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces, so they cook evenly.
- If you want SUPER crispy potatoes, soak the diced potatoes in cold water for 30 minutes first. Drain well and pat the potatoes dry before tossing them with the other ingredients.
- Always preheat your air fryer; this helps the potatoes crisp up better.
- Do not overcrowd the basket of the air fryer. There needs to be space around the potatoes so that they become crispy.
- Always shake the basket halfway through the cooking time.
- All air fryers are not the same. As a result, you may need to adjust your cooking time.
Change up the flavor of these potato cubes simply by changing the seasonings you put on. Here are some tasty ideas to try!
- Use cayenne pepper or chili powder for a spicier kick.
- Add oregano or thyme.
- Smoked paprika will be awesome if you have it!
- Italiano seasoning, so good.
- Dill weed
- Fresh rosemary
- My favorite variation is.... top the cooked potatoes with shredded cheddar cheese! I took out a baking sheet, covered it with parchment paper, added the cooked potatoes to it, added shredded cheese, and popped it under the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Mmmm, so good!!!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes! Most people who have air fryers say their air fryer potatoes are ultra crispy and taste like they were deep-fried but are way less greasy. Since you only use a tiny bit of oil, you don't need to feel bad about eating them.
Yes, you can. Always flip your food or shake the air fryer's basket halfway through cooking to make sure they get crispy evenly on both sides. You can open the air fryer at any time to check the doneness of your potatoes.
Potatoes are a root vegetable that is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese, calcium, potassium, folate, antioxidants, and fiber. Plus, they are almost fat-free!
These potatoes are certainly healthier than deep-frying in oil. It cuts calories by 70% to 80% and has a lot less fat. Plus, the oil used in this recipe is olive oil, which is heart-healthy in small amounts.
It takes about 20 minutes to cook diced potatoes in the air fryer.
Store leftovers in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days and the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, place them back in the preheated air fryer for 5-10 minutes, and they will crisp up again!
More recipes you might like
If you’ve tried Ultra Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes or any other recipe, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
Ultra Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes
- COSORI Air Fryer XL
- 2 pounds potatoes washed, peeled, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into cubes in 1 to 2-inch pieces. Try to cut all potatoes a similar size for even cooking.
- Place diced potatoes into a large bowl. Add seasonings and olive oil to the bowl. Use a spoon and mix until potatoes are well coated.
- Preheat the air fryer. I set the temperature at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add potatoes to the basket of the air fryer. Do not overcrowd the basket of the air fryer. We want the potatoes to cook evenly and get really crispy.
- Next, set the cooking time for 20 minutes, and be sure to shake the basket halfway through, at about 10 minutes. All air fryers do not cook the same, so the cooking time may have to be adjusted for your own air fryer.
- After the 20 minutes are up, the potatoes should be crispy and golden on the outside. Test for doneness by inserting a fork into a piece of potato; it should feel soft.
- That's it! Serve hot and enjoy!
- Cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces, so they cook evenly.
- Do not overcrowd the basket of the air fryer. There needs to be space around the potatoes so that they become ultra-crispy.
- Make sure to shake the basket halfway through the cooking time.
- All air fryers are not equal. If your potatoes are not crispy enough, put them back in for another minute or two.