These Air Fryer Chicken Skewers make a quick and easy meal! Just toss some diced chicken and colorful veggies in flavorful seasoning and cook to perfection in less than 15 minutes!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
If you are new to my blog, you'll quickly realize I love my air fryer. I probably use it 3-4 nights a week - at least.
I love that I can take something out of the freezer, pop it in cold water to defrost, and cook it up in less than 30 minutes. It has been a lifesaver. How did I ever manage before?
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy to make.
- Ready in 15 minutes.
- Use any vegetables.
- Your whole family will love them.
- Makes an easy weeknight dinner.
You'll need the following basic ingredients to make this air fryer chicken skewers recipe.
- Chicken pieces. Use boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs. Dice them the same size.
- Bell peppers. Use red, yellow, green, or orange bell peppers.
- Seasoning. For a delicious spice combination, I used garlic powder, smoked paprika, ground cumin, salt, and black pepper.
- Optional. Use red onion, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, or any other vegetable you like.
See the printable recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- Chicken. Use tofu, shrimp, or pork for a different protein choice.
- Oil. Use avocado oil or cooking oil instead.
- Spices. Use chili powder, regular paprika, onion powder, lemon pepper seasoning, or red pepper flakes.
- Marinade. Marinate chicken in teriyaki sauce or BBQ sauce for extra flavor.
Related Recipe: Grilled Teriyaki Chicken on a Stick
How To Make Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
Step By Step Instructions
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before using.
Step 1: In a large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper.
Step 2: Add the chicken cubes and toss until evenly coated in the seasoning.
Step 3: Thread chicken and bell peppers onto the skewers in any combination you like.
Step 4: Spray the air fryer basket with avocado spray to prevent sticking. Place chicken skewers in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Make sure to leave space between them so the hot air can circulate.
Step 5: Air fry the skewers for 12-14 minutes, flipping over halfway.
Step 6: Serve the chicken skewers immediately with a salad, rice, or your favorite dipping sauce.
I made these chicken skewers in my Instant Pot Vortex 6-quart air fryer, which fit four skewers perfectly. This recipe made enough for eight skewers, which I cooked in two batches. It made enough to feed my family of four - but there were no leftovers. 🙁
- Soak wooden skewers in water before using them.
- Cut the chicken and veggies the same size.
- Cook in batches to prevent overcrowding.
- Flip the skewers over halfway through the cooking time.
- Use a meat thermometer to check if the chicken is done (internal temperature of 165°F).
Yes, you can use steel skewers in the air fryer - and they don't need to be soaked like wooden skewers. Just make sure they are small enough to fit in your air fryer basket.
Yes, you must soak wooden skewers before using them in the air fryer. Soaking them in water for at least 30 minutes helps prevent the wood from burning.
You can use metal skewers or wooden chopsticks if you don't have kabob sticks.
You can either assemble the skewers and place them in the refrigerator covered with plastic wrap or foil or dice the chicken and peppers and store them separately.
I would plan for 2 to 3 skewers per person.
Store leftover chicken skewers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Wrap each skewer individually in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag or airtight container for up to 2 months.
Reheat the skewers for 3-5 minutes at 350°F until heated through. If reheating frozen skewers, increase the cooking time until hot.
Air Fryer Chicken Skewers (Kabobs)
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 large yellow bell pepper cut in 1-inch pieces
- wooden or metal skewers if wooden, soak in water for 30 minutes first
- Dice chicken and bell peppers into one-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Add the chicken cubes and toss until the chicken is coated evenly.
- Thread the chicken and bell peppers onto the skewers, alternating them.
- Place the skewers in the air fryer basket, leaving space between them. Cook for 6 minutes at 385°F. Flip the chicken over, and cook for 6-8 minutes at 385°F, until the chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature is 165°F.
- Serve the air fryer chicken skewers immediately with a salad, rice, or your favorite dipping sauce.
- The cooking time may vary depending on how hot your air fryer cooks and how thick the chicken pieces are.
- Prep the skewers ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator.
- Use different vegetables or add pineapple.
- Use leftovers in wraps or salads.