Whip up an easy dinner with this Frozen Chicken Breast Air Fryer Recipe! Perfect for busy weeknights, this recipe transforms fresh or frozen chicken breasts into a tender, juicy, flavor-packed meal in just 20 minutes!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- It's quick and easy to make.
- The cooking time is just 20 minutes.
- It's low carb and low fat.
- The chicken is tender and juicy.
- Great for meal prep.
- There is no need to defrost the chicken first.
This fast and easy recipe is made with simple ingredients that are easy to find at any grocery store.
- Chicken breasts. I used frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Olive oil. This helps keep the chicken moist and gives the seasoning something to stick to.
- Dry rub. I used my Best Smoked Chicken Rub.
See the printable recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
- Chicken. Use frozen boneless chicken breast, semi-frozen chicken breast, or thawed chicken breast. Use boneless skin-on chicken if you like crispy skin. If using fresh chicken breast, reduce the cooking time by a few minutes.
- Oil. Use avocado oil, vegetable oil, or canola oil.
- Rub. Use your favorite chicken rub, this Basic Pork Rub, lemon pepper seasoning, or Italian seasoning.
- BBQ: Brush barbecue sauce on the last few minutes of cooking.
♨️ How To Make Frozen Chicken Breast In Air Fryer
Step By Step Instructions
Step 1: Preheat your air fryer to 360°F. Place frozen chicken breasts in the air fryer basket in a single layer. It is okay if they are frozen together. Brush the top and sides of the chicken with olive oil or cooking spray.
Step 2: Season the top of the chicken breasts generously with a dry rub.
Step 3: Air fry chicken for 6 minutes, break it apart if frozen, and flip it over with tongs.
Step 4: Brush the top of the chicken with olive oil and apply dry rub again. Air fry the chicken for another 4 minutes at 360°F.
Step 5: Flip the chicken over and turn up the heat to 380°F. Cook for 5 more minutes, flip again, and cook for another 5 minutes.
Step 6: Once the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F with a meat thermometer, remove the chicken, let it rest for a few minutes, then slice and serve with your favorite side dishes or dipping sauce. Enjoy!
I love serving these chicken breasts with a simple green salad and Air Fried Frozen Broccoli for a quick dinner.
- For best results, ensure the chicken breasts are similar in size.
- How long to cook chicken will depend on the thickness of the chicken breast and how hot your air fryer cooks.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving.
The cook time for frozen chicken breasts in an air fryer will vary depending on the size of the chicken breasts and how hot your air fryer is, but typically, they will take about 20 minutes to cook.
The best temperature to cook frozen chicken breasts in an air fryer is to start at 360 degrees F until defrosted, then increase the temperature to 380 degrees F for the rest of the cooking time.
Yes, I prefer to preheat my air fryer before using it. If your air fryer doesn't have a preheat setting, just run the air fryer at the temperature you will be cooking the food at for 3-5 minutes.
Yes, you can cook chicken breast from frozen in the air fryer.
Frozen chicken breast is fully cooked when the internal temperature measured in the thickest part of the chicken breast with a digital meat thermometer reaches 165°F.
Store leftover chicken breasts in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Wrap leftovers tightly in plastic wrap then place inside a freezer-safe bag. Store for up to 2 months.
Thaw in the fridge overnight if frozen, then reheat in the air fry on the 'Reheat' setting for 4-5 minutes until warm.
Frozen Chicken Breast Air Fryer Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dry chicken rub - or your favorite chicken rub recipe below
Dry Chicken Rub
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Garlic and Peppers seasoning a Club House seasoning
- 2 teaspoons paprika or smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your air fryer to 360ºF.
- Place frozen chicken breasts in the air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Brush the top and sides of the chicken with olive oil and season liberally with dry rub.
- Air fry chicken for 6 minutes at 360ºF. Break the chicken apart with a knife and flip it over with tongs. Brush the top of the chicken with olive oil and apply dry rub. Air fry for four more minutes at 360ºF.
- Flip the chicken over again, turn up the temperature to 380ºF, and air fry for 5 minutes. Flip the chicken again and cook for five more minutes at 380ºF. The chicken is fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165 °F (74 °C).
- Let it rest for a few minutes, then slice and serve.
- Brush with barbecue sauce the last minute of cooking time.
- Remove smaller chicken breasts as soon as they are cooked.
- The chicken rub makes a large batch. Store leftovers in an airtight container in a cool, dark place and use it on other chicken recipes.
The provided nutritional information is approximate per serving and is meant as a guideline only.