Air fryer chicken wings are absolutely the best wings you will ever make. They are easy to make, cook time is about 30 minutes, and the final result is crispy and flavorful wings on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside. Because they are cooked in an air fryer, hardly any oil is used, and cleanup is a breeze! Toss them in your favorite sauce, or serve as is, lightly seasoned, with ranch dipping sauce.
We had so much fun cooking these chicken wings in the air fryer. It was even more fun eating them. We enjoyed a meal of chicken wings, carrot sticks, and a spinach salad. We turned on some 90s country music, and we were transported back in time to our college days, munching on wings in the lounge. 😉 Our daughter thought we were nuts.
If you like air fryer recipes, be sure to check out my reader favorite, Ultimate Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries; my healthy Air Fryer Keto Tuna Patties, Ultra Crispy Air Fryer Chickpeas, or Ultra Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes recipe.
Why we love these wings
- They are so easy to make
- Only a few ingredients are needed
- Only 1 tablespoon of oil is used
- No flour, baking powder, or cornstarch is needed
- They are crispy and taste like they were deep-fried
- They have far fewer calories than deep-fried wings as hardly any oil is used
- The grease from the wings drips down underneath the wings in the air fryer, so the wings don't sit in grease
- Cleanup is a breeze; wipe it out and done!
- The wings are perfectly cooked, crispy on the outside, and juicy and tender on the inside.
- They are ready in about 30 minutes.
- Everyone can add the sauce they like if they want it, and everyone's happy!
- They are fun to eat!
The ingredient list is very small for this easy to make recipe. All you need are:
- Fresh chicken wings. Frozen wings will work too.
- Dry rub seasoning: Lemon pepper, seasoning salt, and garlic powder
Place chicken wings into a large bowl. Pour olive oil over the chicken. Add seasoning to chicken.
Stir well with a large spoon or tongs until seasoning is spread evenly on the wings—Preheat air fryer to 380°F. Place seasoned chicken wings into an air fryer basket. Leave space between the wings so the air can circulate around them, so they cook evenly.
Cook for 25 minutes, shaking the basket about every 10 minutes so they crisp up evenly. Below is what they look like after 25 minutes. They are cooked and ready to eat, but there is one more step if you want them extra crispy!
Turn up the temperature to 400°F, and cook for 5 minutes more. This will completely crisp up the skin on these chicken wings. That's all there is to it! See how the grease runs off and into the holes of the air fryer?
Remove from the air fryer basket and eat as is, deliciously seasoned (my favorite), or toss them in your favorite BBQ sauce for BBQ wings, or in Buffalo sauce if heat is your thing!
I make a side of ranch dip to dip them in, so good! I also like to serve carrot sticks, celery sticks, and pepper strips with these wings, and they all taste good dipped in ranch. 😉
Favorite sauces to try with wings
There are so many sauces you can toss your wings in, some of our favorites are:
- Buffalo sauce
- Honey garlic sauce
- Teriyaki sauce
- BBQ sauce
- Garlic parmesan sauce
- Sweet chili sauce
- Always preheat the air fryer before adding the chicken wings
- Do not overstuff the air fryer basket; otherwise, the air will not circulate, and the skin will not crisp up properly
- Shake the air fryer basket every 10 minutes, so the wings cook evenly.
- All air fryers are not the same, and cook times may vary; always keep an eye on the air fryer while cooking, so they don't burn.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I set the temperature at 380°F for 25 minutes, shaking the basket every 10 minutes. I then turn up the heat to 400°F for 5 more minutes to make the wings extra crispy. If you cook them at 400°F the entire time, the wings may be drier and chewier.
Yes, you can—season frozen wings and place them in a preheated air fryer. After 10 minutes, the wings should be thawed and broken apart. Shake the basket and continue cooking. You will need to add an extra 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Air frying is healthier than deep-frying in oil. It cuts calories by 70% to 80% and has much less fat.
You can, but they will not be as crispy. I suggest cooking the wings in 2 batches; that way, every wing will be nice and crisp.
More Reader Favorite Recipes
If you’ve tried these Extra Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings or any other recipe, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
Extra Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 2.5 pounds chicken wings, split
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Dry Rub Seasoning
- 1¼ teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon seasoning salt
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat your air fryer to 380°F. Place chicken wings into a large bowl. Pour olive oil over the chicken. Add seasoning to chicken.
- Place chicken wings into a large bowl. Pour olive oil over the chicken. Add dry rub seasoning to chicken.
- Place the chicken wings into the air fryer basket and insert it into the air fryer. Cook the chicken wings for 25 minutes, shaking the basket every 10 minutes so they cook evenly.
- After 25 minutes, increase the temperature to 400°F and cook for 5 more minutes until the skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer chicken wings to a bowl and toss with your favorite sauce.