This tender and juicy Frozen Chicken Breast in the Instant Pot always tastes amazing! This is an easy-to-make recipe that is perfect for those busy nights when you need supper on the table FAST! You can make this chicken from fresh or frozen chicken breasts with a cook time of just 15 minutes! I have an extra step at the end of the Instant Pot cook time to make these chicken breasts over the top delicious! Chicken has never been easier, tastier, or more delicious!
I no longer buy a rotisserie chicken in the store, not when all I have to do is pop some chicken in the Instant Pot. It always tastes fresh and always tastes delicious. Plus, I know it hasn't been sitting out for hours.
When I first made chicken in the pressure cooker, it was perfectly cooked, but it was pale and kind of white looking, not very appetizing. But, I add a little step at the end to add color and extra flavor to the chicken breasts, and it only takes 5 minutes! See the recipe down below for details!
I rarely take the chicken out to thaw anymore; there's really no point! Cook time is the same if it's fresh or frozen! How cool is that! This recipe has saved me many, many times. It is so versatile and goes with so many side dishes!
This Frozen Chicken Breast in the Instant Pot is great for meal prep or anytime you have a recipe that calls for cooked or shredded chicken.
When I make BBQ chicken pizza, I use this recipe for cooking the chicken first. By the time the dough is ready, the chicken is ready, and you can assemble everything.
- Why you will love this frozen Instant Pot chicken breast
- How to make frozen chicken breast in instant pot
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Top tip for frozen chicken breast in instant pot
- Other Instant Pot Recipes
- 📋 Recipe
- More Recipes
- Food safety
- 💬 Comments
Why you will love this frozen Instant Pot chicken breast
- the chicken is always juicy
- it is always perfectly cooked, never dried out
- you can use fresh or frozen chicken breasts
- cook time is just 15 minutes
- perfect for busy nights when you need to get supper on the table fast
- use this chicken in any recipe that requires cooked chicken, healthier and fresher than rotisserie chicken
Only a few ingredients are needed to make these delicious chicken breasts. It doesn't get easier than this!
- Chicken breasts, fresh or frozen
- Water, or use chicken broth for extra flavor
- Seasoning, I use my homemade Dry Rub For Chicken or lemon-pepper seasoning, but feel free to just use salt and pepper.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to make frozen chicken breast in instant pot
This is such an easy recipe and one I use all the time to cook frozen chicken breasts. First of all, add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot. Next, place a trivet in the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place chicken breasts in the pressure cooker—season with lemon pepper seasoning, my homemade Dry Rub For Chicken, or salt and pepper. Place the lid on, close the lid, and set to seal. Press manual pressure and set the timer for 15 minutes high-pressure.
Once the timer beeps, signaling the cooking time's end, allow the pressure cooker to release for at least 10 minutes naturally. After that, quick release the rest of the steam.
Now, just one more step, and this is entirely optional, but it makes the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot even better and highly worth it!
Add some olive oil to a frying pan and turn it on to medium heat. Transfer chicken breasts to a heated pan and sear for 2 minutes on each side, just until they start to turn brown. Add extra seasoning if you like.
That's it! That's all there is to making these tasty chicken breasts!
Hint: As soon as you remove the chicken breasts from the Instant Pot, fill the pot with warm soapy water to soak so that it is easier to clean.
If you prefer darker meat, substitute chicken thighs in place of chicken breasts. The choice is entirely yours. 🙂 Add 5 extra minutes to the cooking time for chicken thighs.
If you want shredded chicken, cook the chicken breasts as above, then remove to a plate or bowl and shred with 2 forks.
Try some of these fun variations for different flavors!
- Spicy - add chili pepper or red pepper flakes while cooking to add some spice into the chicken
- Saucy - add your favorite barbecue sauce or teriyaki sauce
- Grilled - finish these chicken breasts off on a preheated grill for 2 minutes on each side for a smoky flavor.
To make this recipe, you will need an Instant Pot, and for the end step, you need a frying pan.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
It is not very likely you will overcook chicken in the Instant Pot if you follow this recipe. It is cooked in a sealed pot full of moisture, so the chicken gets more tender.
Yes, you need to add 1 cup of liquid. The liquid can be either water, chicken broth, or apple or pineapple juice.
Set manual pressure and set the timer for 15 minutes high-pressure. The fresh chicken will come to pressure in about 10 minutes, and frozen chicken will come to pressure in about 13-15 minutes. When the 15 minute cook time is up, do a natural pressure release for at least 10 minutes.
Fridge: Cooked chicken will last in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Freezer: Cooked chicken will last in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 4 months. I like to wrap the chicken with plastic wrap before placing the chicken in a container in the freezer.
Top tip for frozen chicken breast in instant pot
Instant Pot chicken breasts are always fresh and flavorful. However, for even better flavor and more delicious chicken, sear the chicken breasts in a hot pan on the stove for 2 minutes on each side. This takes the chicken from boring to amazing! Don't skip this step!
Other Instant Pot Recipes
If you’ve tried Frozen Chicken Breast in the Instant Pot or any other recipe, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
Frozen Chicken Breast in Instant Pot
- Instant Pot
- Frying pan
- 4 frozen boneless chicken breasts 8 oz or 200 g each
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon seasoning lemon-pepper; salt and pepper; or dry rub
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot and place a trivet in the bottom. Place chicken breasts in the pressure cooker—season with lemon-pepper seasoning, my homemade Dry Rub For Chicken, or salt and pepper.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the lid to seal. Next, press manual pressure and set the timer for 15 minutes high-pressure.
- Once the timer beeps, signaling the cooking time's end, allow the pressure cooker to release for at least 10 minutes naturally.
- Add some olive oil to a frying pan and turn it on to medium heat. Transfer chicken breasts to a heated pan and sear for 2 minutes on each side, just until they start to turn brown. Add extra seasoning if you like.
- That's all there is to it! Enjoy!
- Fridge: Cooked chicken will last in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
- Freezer: Cooked chicken will last in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 4 months. I like to wrap the chicken with plastic wrap before placing the chicken in a container in the freezer.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended