Teriyaki salmon air fryer is an easy weeknight dinner recipe that is air-fried for just 10 minutes. These salmon fillets are marinated in a tangy and flavorful homemade teriyaki sauce that leaves a crusty caramelized coating on the fish. Reserve some of the marinade to brush on the perfectly cooked salmon for even more flavor!
I love my air fryer, and I don't think I could live without mine. Unfortunately, I was late following the air fryer trend, and I am kicking myself for not getting one sooner.
You can cook almost anything in an air fryer. I have made chicken, fish, and beef, and it is the BEST method to make bacon for breakfast!
I love making salmon in the air fryer; it cuts the cooking time in half compared to cooking in the oven. Unfortunately, I have only been able to cook frozen salmon so far, but we are hoping to go to the west coast of Canada to catch fresh salmon next July!
No need for takeout! Air fryer salmon is the perfect recipe when you need to get a healthy meal on the table fast!
- 💗 Why you will love air fryer salmon teriyaki
- 🐟 Ingredients
- 📖 Substitutions
- 💡 Variations for teriyaki salmon recipe air fryer
- 🔪 Step-by-step instructions
- ❓ I don't have an air fryer, can I use the oven?
- ❔ Can I use bottled teriyaki sauce?
- 🍽 Equipment
- 🌡️ Storage
- 💭 Top tips
- 👪 Health benefits of salmon
- 🥗 Side dishes for teriyaki salmon
- ⭐ Recipe FAQs
- 🏷️ More air fryer recipes
- 📋 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
💗 Why you will love air fryer salmon teriyaki
- An easy-to-make dinner recipe that is super fast.
- Fantastic teriyaki flavor
- Made with real ingredients
- Cooks perfectly in the air fryer.
- The salmon is juicy and tender.
- Ready in 10 minutes
- Great for meal prep
This air-fried salmon is made with (obviously 😉) salmon, and simple pantry ingredients for the homemade teriyaki sauce.
- Salmon fillets - if frozen, defrost first for best results.
- Soy sauce - you can use low sodium soy sauce to reduce your salt intake
- Ginger - chopped fine
- Garlic - chopped fine
- Brown sugar - or your favorite sweetener; cane sugar or raw sugar works well
- Sesame seeds, optional, for garnish
See the recipe card for quantities and a full list of ingredients.
Substitute the teriyaki salmon ingredients to include your favorites:
- Salmon - This recipe will work well with other types of fish
- Ginger - Instead of fresh ginger, use ¼ teaspoon of ginger powder
- Garlic - Instead of fresh garlic cloves, use ¾ teaspoon of garlic powder
- Rice wine vinegar - Instead of rice wine vinegar, use white wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or lemon or lime juice. These would all work well.
- Brown sugar - Instead of brown sugar, use an equal amount of cane sugar, coconut sugar, or raw sugar. You could also use honey instead to make a honey teriyaki salmon air fryer recipe.
💡 Variations for teriyaki salmon recipe air fryer
This salmon teriyaki air fryer recipe is so easy to switch up ingredients to suit specific tastes. Try some of the following ideas:
- Spicy - Use diced jalapeno peppers or cayenne pepper for spicy teriyaki salmon.
- Honey - Use honey instead of brown sugar for the honey garlic salmon air fryer recipe
- Keto - Use your favorite keto-friendly sweetener to make this a keto teriyaki salmon.
Also, be sure to try my recipe for Air Fryer Teriyaki Chicken!
🔪 Step-by-step instructions
Step 1: First of all, make the teriyaki sauce by chopping up the garlic and ginger if using fresh. Next, combine soy sauce, ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar, onion powder, and brown sugar in a bowl. Mix well. Remove ⅓ cup of marinade and set aside.
Step 2: Pour the remaining teriyaki sauce into a shallow pan with sides. Place the salmon, skin side up, on top of the marinade. Allow marinating for 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I am always in a rush, so I just let it sit for about 15 minutes; this gives me time to get the rice going in the Instant Pot.
Step 3: Next, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Using tongs, place the salmon skin-side down in the air fryer basket. Set the timer for 7 to 9 minutes. The thickness of the salmon will determine the amount of time to cook. My salmon fillets were about 1-inch in thickness, and the salmon was fully cooked in 10 minutes. Set the timer for less time than you think, just in case. You do not want your salmon to be overcooked.
Step 4: While the salmon fillets are cooking in the air fryer, add ⅓ cup of the reserved marinade to a small saucepan. Heat it on medium heat—mix water and cornstarch. Whisk into marinade in saucepan. Continue to heat until it is hot and thickened. Remove from heat and put a lid on it to keep it hot until the salmon are ready.
When the timer is up on the air fryer, check to make sure the salmon is cooked. It should flake easily with a fork. Remove from the air fryer with tongs. Serve with a spoonful of hot teriyaki glaze. I love to serve my air fryer teriyaki salmon fillets with broccoli for a healthy dinner.
Tip: Make sure to leave enough space for air to move around the salmon fillets.
❓ I don't have an air fryer, can I use the oven?
Yes! If you do not have an air fryer, you can quickly cook this recipe in the oven; it just takes a little longer. Follow all of the instructions for teriyaki salmon precisely the same. Place parchment paper on a baking pan (for easy cleanup), place salmon skin side down, pour the rest of the marinade over it, and bake at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes or so. Remember that the thickness of the salmon fillets will alter the cooking time, and ovens cook differently. The salmon is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
❔ Can I use bottled teriyaki sauce?
Yes, you can use bottled teriyaki sauce instead of making a homemade sauce if you like; this would cut the prep time down even more. Just substitute ¾ cup of bottled teriyaki sauce for the homemade sauce. Whatever makes it easier for you. 🙂
To make air fryer salmon, you need an air fryer. The one I use is an Instant Pot Vortex Air Fryer. It was very reasonably priced and has a large basket so I can quickly cook for my family.
I recently bought a Ninja Foodi Air Fryer as well (because heck, sometimes you need 2 ;). It has two baskets! That makes it so easy to make enough food to feed my family in no time at all!
If stored correctly in an airtight container, cooked salmon will last for 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
After that, you can eat it cold on a green salad (my favorite) or place it in an oven-safe baking dish with 2 tablespoon of water, cover with foil, and reheat at 300 degrees for about 15 minutes or so. Cooking it at a lower heat will help to prevent it from drying out. Also, you can use the reheat setting on your air fryer if it has it. It will only take about 5 minutes to be heated through.
You can also freeze cooked salmon in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to 2 months.
💭 Top tips
- Preheat the air fryer before placing the salmon in it.
- For best results, use salmon fillets that have the skin on. The skin keeps the oils and nutrients in the salmon so it does not dry out and the meat will stay juicy.
- No extra oil is required to air fry the salmon.
- Leave a bit of space between the fish fillets so air can pass around them for even cooking.
- Do not overcrowd the basket.
- Thicken the glaze on the stovetop and brush it on the cooked fillets or spoon it on
👪 Health benefits of salmon
Salmon is extremely healthy. According to WebMD, A serving of salmon, 3 to 4 ounces, is about 200 calories. It's very low in saturated fat, a good source of protein, and one of the best sources of vitamin B12. It's also bursting in potassium and other nutrients like iron and vitamin D. Vitamin B12 keeps blood and nerve cells humming along.
Experts recommend that all adults eat at least two portions (a total of 8 ounces) of seafood a week, especially fish high in omega-3s, like salmon. We are also supposed to avoid fish that contains a lot of mercury, and fortunately, salmon is not one of them.
🥗 Side dishes for teriyaki salmon
- Instant Pot Rice
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Smoked Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Carrots
- Delicious green salad
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Ultra Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes
- Oven-Roasted Potatoes
⭐ Recipe FAQs
The salmon fillet will cook in the air fryer for 9 to 10 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Yes, it is. According to Healthline, salmon skin contains the highest concentration of omega-3 fatty acids on the fish. There's strong evidence that these fatty acids can reduce triglyceride levels and decrease your chances of heart disease. Whether you choose to eat it or not is up to personal preference. I prefer to remove the skin from my salmon. 🙂
Teriyaki is a salty-sweet sauce used in Japanese cooking, made with soy sauce, sugar, and ginger. Teriyaki can be used as a marinade, glaze, or dipping sauce.
🏷️ More air fryer recipes
If you've tried this Teriyaki Salmon Air Fryer or any other recipe, please take a moment to leave a recipe rating or leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
You can also Follow Me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Would you please tag me in your photos @windingcreek_ranch? I would love to see your pictures!
Teriyaki Salmon Air Fryer
- 4 salmon fillets 5-6 oz. fillets
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic chopped
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- sesame seeds for garnish optional
- First of all, make the teriyaki salmon marinade by combining soy sauce, ginger, garlic, rice wine vinegar, onion powder, and brown sugar in a bowl. Mix well. Remove ⅓ cup of marinade and set aside.
- Pour remaining teriyaki sauce in a shallow pan with sides. Place the salmon, skin side up, on top of the marinade. Allow marinating for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Using tongs, place the salmon skin-side down in the air fryer basket. Set the timer for 7 to 9 minutes. The thickness of the salmon will determine the amount of time to cook. My salmon fillets are about 1-inch in thickness and were fully cooked in 10 minutes. Set the timer for less time than you think, just in case. You do not want your salmon to be overcooked.
- While the salmon fillets are cooking in the air fryer, add ⅓ cup of the reserved marinade to a small saucepan and heat it on medium heat. Mix water and cornstarch and whisk into marinade in a saucepan. Continue to heat until it is hot and thickened. Remove from heat and put a lid on it to keep it hot until the salmon are ready.
- When the timer is up on the air fryer, check the salmon to see that it is fully cooked. It should flake easily with a fork.
- Remove salmon from the air fryer with tongs. Remove the skin and serve with a spoonful of hot teriyaki glaze on top. I love to serve my teriyaki salmon fillets with broccoli for a healthy dinner.
This air fryer salmon is absolutely delicious! We’ll definitely be making it again!
I love how easy this is to make in my air fryer!
Amy Liu Dong
I have never tried to make this flavor to my salmon, and it looks really delicious!
I am so excited to use my newly bought air fryer for this recipe.
It is delicious! Have fun using your new air fryer! You will love it! 🙂
I absolutely loved this teriyaki glazed salmon. It was super easy to prepare and made my day after working long hours.
I'm so glad you liked it! We love it too! 🙂
We love how easy this Salmon is to prepare! Great for busy weeknights. Delicious!
Yum! The crusty caramelized coated is the highlight of this dish! So tasty and so good!
I loved this recipe. It was delicious. Easy to make and perfect.
Such a great air fryer recipe! Yum!
My family loved this recipe. Getting my kids to eat fish is not always easy but this one was a hit. Served it just like you with rice and broccoli and it disappeared. Th!
I'm so glad you and your family liked it, Sabrina!
Air fryer newbie here...I hadn't thought about putting in fish in there, but it was so good. I loved the marinade and how easy it was to clean up afterwards.
We love using our air fryer and absolutely love salmon
This recipe was full of flavour and so easy to cook in the air fryer, making a midweek meal even quicker 🙂
Thanks for sharing!!
Such a great air fryer recipe!
I still don't have an AF and I feel I am missing out, but in the meantime, I will be making your recipe in my old-fashioned oven. I love the simple ingredients used for this recipe.
This is a great recipe! We loved this salmon teriyaki!! So delicious.
I too wish I would have gotten my Air fryer earlier, so much easier to cook and love the healthy as[etc of it as well. Thank you for sharing a super delicious recipe.