This Orange Julius is creamy, frothy, and delicious! It is a refreshing drink that tastes like a creamsicle. It is easily made with a handful of ingredients and is ready in minutes! So the next time you are craving an Orange Julius, make one at home for a fraction of the cost. I think it tastes even better than the original!
What is an Orange Julius?
Orange Julius is an American chain of fruit drink beverage stores that has been in business since the late 1920s and is noted for a particular drink, called an Orange Julius. The beverage is a mixture of ice, orange juice, sweetener, milk, powdered egg whites, and vanilla flavoring.
When I was a kid and went to the mall, my mom bought me an Orange Julius. It was a real treat! I liked them so much I came up with a recipe. This was, oh, about 40 years ago 🙄.
Anyway, I submitted my recipe in a cookbook for my grade 2 class, and I still have the cookbook to this day.
But, mind you, it is pretty worn and certainly won't last another 40 years. I had to retype the recipe before it was completely faded and was unable to read.
I have been making this recipe for over 40 years, and my kids always ask for it. It tastes so fresh and vibrant, and it has no artificial flavors or ingredients. It tastes like liquid sunshine 😊.
Why we love Homemade Orange Julius
This has been a family favorite for so many years. You will love this too because:
- It is made with real ingredients, no artificial flavors or colors.
- So quick to make, it only takes just a few minutes in the blender.
- It tastes fresh and full of flavor.
- Everyone will love this recipe and beg you to make it again and again.
- It is so much cheaper and healthier than buying one at DQ.
If you have never had an Orange Julius before, you are really missing out! It is a frothy mixture that tastes like a treat, perfect for hot summer days.
Only a handful of ingredients are required to make this delicious recipe, and you probably already have them in your kitchen.
- Frozen orange juice. I used Minute Maid 100% original, which is made with natural oranges and no added preservatives.
- Milk. I use 1% milk but use your favorite kind.
- Sugar. I use cane sugar but feel free to use your favorite sweetener.
- Vanilla extract. I use pure vanilla extract.
- Water. Use cold water.
- Ice cubes. You need about 12.
How To Make An Orange Julius
To make this Orange Juice copycat recipe, you will need a blender. Place the first 5 ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Next, add the ice cubes to the blender and blend again. Pour the Orange Julius into glasses and serve! Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
One of the top-rated frozen concentrate orange juice is Minute Maid or Florida Gold, made with real ingredients and no preservatives.
You can use less sweetener, or sweetener of choice.
Orange Julius is best when it is consumed as soon as it is made. However, you can keep it in the fridge for about a day in a container with a lid. Then, place it in a blender to remix ingredients.
What to serve with an Orange Julius?
If you’ve tried this Orange Julius or any other recipe, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
- 6 ounces frozen orange juice concentrate ½ can
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 10-12 ice cubes
- Add all ingredients except the ice to a blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Add ice cubes to a blender and blend until creamy and smooth. If you want it thicker, add more ice cubes.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!