These baked beans are swimming in a delicious brown sugar sauce made with maple syrup and BBQ sauce. This easy bean recipe comes together in just a few minutes and is a perfect side dish to enjoy while at an outdoor cookout or camping.
Baked beans are one of our favorite easy-to-make recipes that we have been making for years and years. This is an original recipe and is a staple at every family reunion.
It seems to be a tradition that anytime we cook smokies over the fire; we serve up a pot of these delicious baked beans to go with them. Our family dinner isn't complete without it. Add a broccoli salad and we have a quick and tasty meal!
This beans recipe is only partly homemade, meaning that I am not cooking beans from scratch.
This is an easy recipe that doesn't involve soaking dried beans overnight, and then enduring hours of cooking them the next day in the crock pot.
I am just essentially opening up a few cans, draining the extra liquid, and adding some tasty ingredients to them. With how busy summer can sometimes be, working outside and in the garden, I love these super convenient meals.
On a hot summer day, I'm not too excited about making an elaborate meal. That is why this is a favorite recipe. It is an easy way to get dinner on the table, and it has such great flavor!
This is a perfect dish to bring to a potluck dinner. It can be kept warm in the slow cooker, ready to eat whenever you are. If you have a barbecue or grill, these beans go extremely well with my favorite Smoked Burgers or Smoked Beef Brisket.
More easy recipes
You only need a few simple ingredients to make this easy baked beans recipe. I like to keep the ingredients on hand in the pantry to whip up these beans anytime easily.
- Pork and beans. I find that the best flavor comes when you use maple flavor beans. However, you can also use pork and beans in tomato sauce, and they taste fantastic as well.
- Red kidney beans, rinsed well with excess liquid removed.
- Prepared mustard. I used Dijon mustard, but you can use any yellow mustard as well.
- Brown sugar. You could use your sweetener of choice
- BBQ sauce, your favorite kind
- Maple syrup. Just a little, for extra maple flavor.
- Onion, chopped, optional. You can also use cooked onions or sautéed onions.
How to make homemade baked beans
This only takes a few minutes to make, then pop it into the oven to bake until heated through. It is one of my favorite dishes to make.
First of all, open up the cans of pork and beans and dump them into a large bowl. Next, open up the red kidney beans and empty out the bean liquid. Rinse them with water using a strainer.
Next, add the red kidney beans to the bowl with the maple beans. Finally, add mustard, brown sugar, maple syrup, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, and chopped onion.
Stir the bean mixture well to combine all ingredients.
Place in a covered casserole dish and place in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until heated through and deliciously syrupy. Check periodically and give a good stir to make sure that they don't burn.
Add some black pepper or salt if desired.
- Red kidney beans: You can also use any type of Great Northern beans, such as navy beans, white beans, pea beans, or pinto beans. You can even use black beans. Heck, feel free to use any type of beans you already have in your pantry! You can even use dry beans as well; just make sure to follow the directions for preparing them.
- Prepared mustard: You can use any type of mustard you have, or use ⅓ teaspoon of dry mustard powder instead. You can also use some spicy brown mustard for a bit of a kick!
- Brown sugar: You can use light brown sugar or dark brown sugar. The dark brown sugar will give the beans more of a richer taste.
There are so many delicious variations to these homemade beans. Some tasty ones to try are:
- Add 4-6 strips of bacon to the baked beans. Cook the bacon on the stove on medium-high heat, or make air fryer bacon. Be sure to place the cooked bacon on a paper towel to absorb the bacon grease before adding it to the sweet beans.
- Add smoked bacon to these brown sugar baked beans. The smoky bacon adds another level of flavor to this delicious side dish.
- Try ½ teaspoon of smoked paprika for a smoky flavor
- Add some cut-up hot dogs or smokies
- Add a little bit of Worcestershire sauce for extra flavor.
- Try ¼-1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, or to taste. Start with a small amount and increase if you want a little more heat.
- Cayenne pepper, to taste.
- For a hearty one-pot main dish, add some cooked ground beef to the mixture.
To make the best baked beans, you will need a sharp knife to chop the onion. You can also use a food chopper if you have one.
You will also need a can opener for opening the cans of beans, a medium skillet or casserole dish, and a spoon.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
They are naturally high in fiber and protein and low in fat. As a result, they are a good source of plant-based protein to help grow muscle mass and supply fiber, promoting gut health.
Definitely, add ingredients to your slow cooker, turn on low, and heat until warmed through and syrupy.
Of course! You can mix these beans up and place them in the fridge. Then, when you are ready to heat them, place them in the oven and heat them. You may need to add 10 minutes to the baking time as they will be colder.
Yes, they actually freeze very well. Freeze in a freezer-safe container, place in the fridge to defrost the day before, and bake in the oven. It might take up to 1 hour to heat up. Check periodically and stir to make sure they don't burn.
To store any leftover beans, let them come to room temperature, then place them in an airtight container. They will keep safely in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
To freeze, place the beans in a freezer-safe container, where they will keep for up to 2-3 months. To reheat, place in the fridge the night before, then bake them in the oven. Make sure to stir them periodically so they don't burn.
You can also place them in a pot on the stove top and warm them up on low heat to medium heat, stirring often.
More Recipes To Try
If you’ve tried these Easy Baked Beans or any other recipe, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
You can also Follow Me on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Please tag me in your photos at @windingcreek_ranch. I would love to see your pictures!
Easy Baked Beans Recipe With Brown Sugar
- Fine-mesh strainer
- 2 cans maple flavor beans 14 oz cans
- 1 can red kidney beans 19 oz can
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon BBQ sauce
- ¾ cup diced onion optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Open up the maple flavor beans and dump them into a large bowl.
- Next, open up the red kidney beans and rinse them with water. I use a mesh strainer to rinse these beans.
- Add the red kidney beans to the bowl with the maple beans. Add in mustard, brown sugar, maple syrup, brown sugar, BBQ sauce, and chopped onion.
- Stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Place bean mixture in a covered casserole dish and place in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until heated through and deliciously syrupy. Check periodically and give a good stir to make sure that they don't burn.