This simple No-Churn Haskap Berry Ice Cream is the perfect way to cool off on these hot summer days. It is velvety smooth, amazingly delicious, and easy to make. It comes together quickly and doesn't require an ice cream maker! This frozen summer dessert is made with only 3 ingredients, and you can use fresh or frozen berries.
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email & I'll send it to your inbox. Plus, get great new recipes from me every week!
I have a ton of favorite ice cream recipes, but one of the real favorites right now is this homemade haskap berry ice cream. We did the first picking of our haskap berries and got 13 pounds of berries!
I have been busy in the kitchen making different recipes with haskaps. With the heatwave we have had this summer, I've been making a lot of ice cream these days. It is a real treat to sit down at the end of the day to enjoy a bowl of delicious homemade ice cream.
What are haskap berries?
Haskap berries are a purple-blue elongated berry known as 'honeyberries, edible honeysuckle, or blue honeysuckle,' but most people haven't heard of them.
These berries are native to northern Japan and Russia. Haskap, which means "little present on the end of a branch," is the name given by the Japanese.
They have been found sporadically in the wild across Canada, growing mostly on the edge of wetlands. Now, they are grown in almost all of the provinces. They are quite hardy, even able to survive our harsh, cold Canadian winters.
We have been growing them for almost 10 years, and we freeze them as soon as they are picked to enjoy throughout the entire year. They are excellent in smoothies, pies, jams, yogurt, and ice cream.
What does no churn mean?
It means no ice cream maker. All that is required is 5 minutes and an electric mixer. It means just 3 ingredients and no fussy egg custard required. It means ice cream that is so amazingly easy to make; even a kid can do it. The sweetened condensed milk in this recipe has already been cooked down and has less water. This means you will end up with naturally creamy ice cream without having to churn it.
Why we love this ice cream
Homemade no-churn ice cream is so easy to make! The color of this ice cream is a brilliant fuchsia color, so pretty! Prep time is only 5 minutes, and it contains only 3 ingredients!
Ingredients for Haskap berry ice cream
Let’s gather up our ice cream ingredients!
- Sweetened condensed milk. This adds the sweet finish that you get in regular churned ice cream. It is quite inexpensive and is just sweet enough you don't need to add any additional sugar.
- Whipping cream, 35% milkfat. Whipped to stiff peaks, this is how you get the air into the cream that produces the light and creamy ice cream.
- Haskap berries. These berries have a sweet and tart taste, and a little zing. If you cannot access haskap berries, substitute with blueberries, raspberries, or blackberries.
To make this recipe for homemade no-churn ice cream, you will need:
- A hand mixer.
- Food processor.
- A rubber spatula.
- Plastic wrap
- Glass baking dish. I like a 9 x 13 or even an 8 x 11 size.
How to make this ice cream without an ice cream maker
For exact measurements of ingredients and detailed instructions, see the recipe card below.
Let's get started making this creamy berry ice cream!
In a food processor, blend up haskap berries until they are a smooth consistency. No food processor? Place berries in a blender and add just enough whipping cream to blend up the berries.
In a large bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks start to form. Add in the can of sweetened condensed milk and continue to whip until well mixed.
Using a rubber spatula, spoon blended haskap berry mixture into the ice cream mixture. Blend on low speed with the hand mixer until it is well mixed.
Use a spatula and spread the haskap ice cream mixture into a baking dish. Top with extra haskaps if you like. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and place it in the freezer on a level surface to set up. It will take about 6-8 hours to firm up. That's all there is to it!
Tips for no churn ice cream
- This frozen dessert recipe takes 6 to 8 hours to freeze completely. I highly recommend you make this in the morning if you want to serve this in the afternoon or evening.
- If you prefer soft serve ice cream, this will be ready to eat in 2-3 hours.
- Invest in a quality airtight container to avoid freezer burn.
- Freeze your mixing bowl and beaters for 20-30 minutes beforehand to help get your whipped cream to a stiff peak.
- Cover the ice cream with plastic wrap before you put the container lid on it. This prevents ice crystals from forming on the top of the ice cream.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes. No-churn ice cream is sweet, creamy, and so delicious. The only major difference between churned ice cream is the texture. With each bite of no-churn ice cream melting in your mouth, it is extra smooth and extra creamy. So is that a bad thing? I don't think so. 😊
Evaporated milk is sweetened condensed milk without any added sugar. Both of these products are made with milk that's had about 60 percent of its water removed, with sweetened condensed milk being sweetened.
Cream of coconut is a great substitute for sweetened condensed milk, leaving you with just a hint of a tropical essence. It can be substituted cup for cup.
More sweet summer treats to try
If you’ve tried this No-Churn Haskap Berry Ice Cream or any other recipe, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
Haskap Berry Ice Cream - No Churn
- A hand mixer. I love this KitchenAid one.
- Food processor
- A rubber spatula
- Plastic wrap
- Glass baking dish.
- 2 cups whipping cream 35% milkfat
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2½ cups haskap berries fresh or frozen
- In a food processor, blend up haskap berries until they are a smooth consistency. If you don't have a food processor, place berries in a blender and add just enough whipping cream to blend the berries.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream with an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks start to form. This will take about 2-3 minutes on high speed.
- Add in the can of sweetened condensed milk and continue to whip until well mixed.
- Using a rubber spatula, spoon blended haskap berry mixture into the ice cream mixture. Blend on low speed with the hand mixer until it is well mixed
- Use a spatula and spread the ice cream mixture into a baking dish.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and place the ice cream in the freezer on a level surface to set up. It will take about 6-8 hours to firm up.
The provided nutritional information is approximate per serving and is meant as a guideline only.