If you are a S’mores fan, you will love S'mores Ice Cream. It is a delicious, cool treat that incorporates all the great flavors of an all-time favorite summer treat, S’mores! This delicious vanilla ice cream is made with real cream combined with graham crackers, marshmallows, and chunks of decadent chocolate. Plus, this at-home ice cream is no-churn, which means no ice cream maker is needed!
We absolutely love homemade ice cream here on the farm, and this is another one of our favorite recipes to make. One of our favorite traditions in the summer is having a fire in the evening and cooking homemade S’mores over the fire. My kids always have contests to see who can cook the perfect light brown marshmallows.
I decided to develop a recipe for easy homemade ice cream that combines our love of ice cream and our love of S’mores, and it tastes delicious!
What are S’Mores?
S'more is a contraction of the phrase "some more." You always want “some more,” hence the name.
Research tells me that S'mores appeared in a cookbook in the early 1920s, where it was called a "Graham Cracker Sandwich." Then, a 1956 recipe used the name "S'Mores" and listed the ingredients as "a sandwich of two graham crackers, toasted marshmallow, and 1⁄2 chocolate bar."
Why we love to make this ice cream
Homemade ice cream is so easy to make and takes hardly any time. It is perfect for when you have company coming over. You can make it earlier in the day, pop it in the freezer, and when you’re ready to serve, take it out of the freezer and enjoy it! Your guests will thank you for it!
Homemade ice cream contains no artificial additives, preservatives, or colors. Another of our favorite ice cream recipes is Raspberry Rhubarb Ice Cream, so fresh and flavorful! Be sure to give it a try!
Ingredients for Smore’s ice cream
Let’s gather up our vanilla ice cream and s’more ingredients!
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Whipping cream, 35% milkfat.
- Pure vanilla extract
- Mini marshmallows
- Graham Crackers
- Chocolate bar, milk chocolate, or dark chocolate.
- Chocolate chips for extra chocolate flavor or for melting if you want to drizzle melty chocolate on top.
To make this recipe for homemade ice cream, you will need:
- A hand mixer.
- Plastic wrap
- Glass baking dish. I like a 9 x 13 or even 8 x 11 size.
How to make S’mores ice cream
For exact measurements of ingredients and detailed instructions, see the recipe card below.
Making ice cream at home is extremely easy. I'm sure; if you have never had homemade ice cream, you will wonder why you never made it before after one taste of this creamy, delicious ice cream.
First, decide if you want to toast your marshmallows or not. I have made this ice cream both ways, and it tastes awesome either way.
If you decide you want your marshmallows toasted, place the mini marshmallows on parchment paper on a baking tray and place them under the broiler. These will not take long to turn brown, so don't walk away! Next, remove the marshmallows from the oven and let them cool completely.
In a large bowl, whip the cream until stiff peaks start to form. Add in the can of sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and continue to whip until well mixed.
Place graham crackers into a medium-size Ziploc bag and roll over it a few times with a rolling pin to crush them up. Next, take half of the chocolate bar and use a knife to cut it up into small bits of chocolate.
Next, add the crumbled graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows to the bowl with the cream mixture. Use a spatula to fold the mixture together. Add in mini chocolate chips if you would like extra chocolate flavor.
Use a spatula and spread the ice cream mixture into a baking dish. Top with extra graham crackers, crushed chocolate, and melted chocolate if you like. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and place it in the freezer on a level surface to set up. It will take about 6-8 hours to firm up. That's all there is to it!
How to serve this ice cream
- Serve in bowls.
- Serve in ice cream cones.
- Place some scoops in a waffle bowl.
- Serve with extra chocolate chips on top.
- Pour caramel sauce on top.
- Top with whip cream and sprinkles for a delicious S'mores sundae.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you live somewhere that doesn't have graham crackers, you can easily substitute them with digestive biscuits or crushed-up pretzels.
When making actual s'mores, we use milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate because it melts more easily as it has a high cocoa butter content. However, in this ice cream, either chocolate will work because we are not melting it.
Yes, they work great too! I normally do not have mini marshmallows on hand, so I use big marshmallows and use kitchen scissors to cut them into cubes. You will get about 4 little marshmallows out of 1 big marshmallow.
More sweet summer treats to try
If you’ve tried this S'Mores Ice Cream No-Churn Recipe or any other recipe, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
Smore's Ice Cream - No-Churn Recipe
- A hand mixer. I love this KitchenAid one.
- Glass baking dish.
- Plastic wrap
- 2 cups whipping cream 35% milkfat
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½-2 cups mini marshmallows
- 12 squares graham crackers
- ½ cup chocolate bar milk chocolate or dark chocolate
- ½ cup chocolate chips optional
- If you decide to toast the marshmallows, place the mini marshmallows on parchment paper on a baking tray and place them under the broiler. These will not take long to turn brown, so don't walk away! Next, remove the marshmallows from the oven and let them cool while you prepare the ice cream.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream with an electric hand mixer until stiff peaks start to form. This will take about 2-3 minutes on high speed.
- Add in the can of sweetened condensed milk and vanilla and continue to whip until well mixed.
- Place graham crackers into a medium-size Ziploc bag and roll over it a few times with a rolling pin to crush them up.
- Take half of the chocolate bar and place it on a cutting board. Use a knife to cut it up into small pieces of chocolate.
- Add the crumbled graham crackers, chocolate, and marshmallows to the bowl with the cream mixture. Use a spatula to fold the mixture together. Add in mini chocolate chips if you would like extra chocolate flavor.
- Use a spatula and spread the ice cream mixture into a baking dish. Top with extra graham crackers, crushed chocolate, and melted chocolate if you like.
- Cover with a lid or plastic wrap, and place the ice cream in the freezer on a level surface to set up. It will take about 6-8 hours to firm up.