This Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream is incredibly creamy, chocolatey, and self-indulgent. This is the best homemade ice cream when you don't want to wait for ice cream; it is ready to enjoy in just 30 minutes. It contains a secret ingredient that thickens the ice cream and gives it a rich chocolate flavor.
Making homemade ice cream is something we do a lot in the summer when it's super hot outside, but you can also enjoy it any time of the year. We serve this delicious ice cream for birthdays as an ice cream cake with homemade brownies and in bowls on family movie night.
We love making ice cream around here, especially fresh berry ice cream; have you tried Raspberry Rhubarb Ice Cream, or maybe my no-churn ice creams such as Smore's Ice Cream or Haskap Berry Ice Cream? I recommend you give them all a try and let me know which one is your favorite.
Also, be sure to try my Chocolate Coffee Mousse Recipe for another creamy treat.
Why we love to make this ice cream
This chocolate ice cream is perfect when you want ice cream right now, and you don't have any in the freezer. It tastes so creamy and delicious and is ready to eat in 30 minutes.
I have tried to make this without the pudding mix, but it doesn't turn out quite right. I have tried substituting real cocoa, powdered milk, and cornstarch, and still no luck. There is something about the pudding mix that thickens up the cream quickly and turns it into sinfully rich, smooth, chocolate ice cream.
To make this homemade chocolate ice cream with the machine, you only need 4 simple ingredients.
- Table cream, 18% milkfat
- Half-and-half cream, 10% milkfat
- Cane sugar
- Instant chocolate pudding mix
See the recipe card for quantities.
This homemade ice cream is the easiest ice cream recipe ever. It tastes absolutely delicious too.
To get started, pour both types of cream into a mixing bowl.
Add pudding mix to the bowl of cream.
Add cane sugar to the cream and pudding mixture.
Mix well with a whisk until combined.
Pour mixture into chilled ice cream maker and churn. This is what the ice cream looks like after 10 minutes.
This is what the ice cream looks like after 20 minutes. It gains volume as it churns and gets thicker and creamier.
Hint: Use a plastic spoon to remove the ice cream maker's ice cream so it doesn't scratch the freezer bowl. I like to use an ice cream paddle to get the ice cream out easily.
Change pudding flavors to change the flavor of this homemade ice cream easily.
- Tropical - Coconut cream pudding
- Vanilla - Vanilla or French Vanilla pudding
- Kid friendly - Cookies 'N Cream with Cookie Pieces pudding
- Cheesecake - Cheesecake pudding
- Other fun flavors - Pumpkin Spice and Lemon pudding
How to serve the ice cream
This is the fun part; there are so many delicious ways to serve homemade chocolate ice cream:
- Serve in bowls with chocolate chips on top.
- Serve in ice cream cones.
- Place some scoops in a waffle bowl.
- Place a scoop on some cake.
- Serve a scoop of ice cream on some homemade pie.
- Serve with your favorite berries on top.
- Drizzle chocolate syrup over top for extra chocolate flavor.
- Top with whip cream and sprinkles for a sundae.
To make this homemade ice cream, you will need an ice cream maker. I use an ice cream attachment for my KitchenAid mixer. I have had it for over 7 years and LOVE it!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 weeks for maximum freshness.
Ensure the freezer bowl has been placed in the freezer for at least 24 hours before making the ice cream.
If you want your ice cream harder, place it in the freezer in an airtight container for 2 hours, then serve.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
It takes about 25-40 minutes to churn the ice cream in an ice cream maker; it all depends on what ice cream maker you have.
How long does homemade ice cream last?
I recommend eating your homemade ice cream within two weeks of making it if it lasts that long. But remember, the fresher, the better.
More Sweet Recipes
If you’ve tried this Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream or any other recipe, please take a moment to rate the recipe and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. I love hearing from you!
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
- An ice cream maker
- 2 cups table cream 18% milkfat
- 2 cups half-and-half 10% milkfat
- ⅓ cup cane sugar
- 1 pkg instant chocolate pudding mix 113 g
- Add the table cream and half-and-half to a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Add the entire package of chocolate pudding mix and cane sugar to the cream in the bowl. Mix with a whisk until combined.
- Set up the chilled ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Turn on the ice cream maker and slowly pour the ice cream mixture into the freezer bowl. Set a timer for 25-30 minutes. The ice cream will increase in volume and get thicker and creamy as it churns.
- After 25-30 minutes, it will be the consistency of a soft ice cream cone. Use a rubber spatula or ice cream paddle to remove ice cream from the freezer bowl and place it into serving bowls. Serve immediately and enjoy!